Sunday, July 15, 2007

SOFTWARE: Tiddly Wiki

I have not been able to get on-line all week! Stupid computer. Anyway, all fixed now, I think, and I wanted to share with you my new favourite thing: Tiddly Wiki. I have been looking for a good recipe management solution, and think this may be the answer. It saves all your work in a single web file, so it's cross-platform and portable. It's basically a free-form wiki-based cardfile. Each 'tiddler' has a title, text box and tag field. You can use it to sort any sort of information you want, search or browse your entriees by tag, easily print by pasting your text into your favourite editor and customize the whole shebang to your specifications. Best of all, each of your wiki files can be edited and viewed off-line, using any computer with a capable web browser.

I am loving this idea. The main drawback to conventional recipe software for me was the time involved in putting each recipe element into its own little special field. I wanted to be able to just find a recipe on-line, copy it, paste it in and go. I wanted something cross-platform too: my next computer may be mac or linux. I was having some success storing things in del.icio.us (I have just discovered tags, and I love them!) but saw the limitations in that when my net access was down these last few days and I couldn't get into anything. Tiddly Wiki seems to provide the best of all worlds. And you can download as many blank ones as you want, for storing and/or sharing any sort of information you want!

I plan to set up my recipe file over the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home