Saturday, March 24, 2007

WEBSITE: Scribd Documents Community

Scribd is a new-ish web community marketing itself as a YouTube for readers. Users can register for a free account and upload any document. Viewers can read it in the browser itself, download it in a variety of formats, export it as an mp3, rate, review or save to favourites. Some but not all of the documents are available under a Creative Commons license. For example, this story by Cory Doctorow. I did some experimenting and tried the MP3 save. It produced a clean file, but the robot woman was a little stilted and mechanical. The feature is a cool idea, though, and I look forward to seeing how it develops. I also like that all documents get a link to a print-on-demand service embedded in as part of the formatting. The authors get $1 if you order a printed copy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger HeyGabe said...

I disabled the print-on-demand feature because I'm not Cory Doctorow, and I don't want the $1 for a printed copy feature to be an issue for the terms of the Creative Commons license. If you really want a printed copy, you should buy Overclocked.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Ficbot said...

I will ammend that---the print on demand feature is available as a feature of the website. Of course, individual uploaders can set the prefs. I was speaking of the features of the website in general and not necessarily that particular file :) I should have clarified that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home